The stork brought a new bundle of joy to ISSUES - meet our latest staff member, Emily! She was kind enough to answer a few questions so that we can all get to know her a little better. Read on...
What are your favorite magazines? Have you discovered any new favorites since you started working at ISSUES?
Some old favorites are The New Yorker, N+1, The Atlantic, Found Magazine, Wired, The Believer, Filter, and Juxtapoz. As for new favorites: Lapham's Quarterly, Aperture, The Wire, Esopus, Lucky Peach, Little White Lies, Zoetrope and Frankie are just a few amazing discoveries off the top of my head. I also have developed a perverse fascination with the Antique Doll section.
What are your favorite parts about working in the Piedmont neighborhood?
It feels like a little family! Everyone recognizes each other and helps each other out. Plus there are so many cute dogs, it's actually out of control. Walking past all the pups tied outside of Peets melts my heart every day.
What do you like to do when you're not slinging magazines?
I just started interning with a local startup called Pop Up Archive to digitize and organize audio from places like 99% Invisible and the Pacifica Archive. I studied Russian in school, so in my most productive spare time I like to watch/try to understand old Soviet movies and read Russian books. I'm also one part of a musical comedy quartet called the Hey Everybodys (you won't find us on Google, we're only one show in, but to give you an idea, we wear neon and sing/rap wholesome songs about Country Life and cats.)
Anything else you'd like to add?
If I were a magazine, I like to think I would be the three-way love child between the Atlantic, Rookie, and Zootles (a children's magazine that focuses on a different adorable animal each issue.)

No comments:
Post a Comment